Monday, October 12, 2009

Random Thought of the Day: Cabbage Patch Kid Preemies

Remember in the 80's when Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage?

If you're my age, then you'll also probably recall the introduction of the Cabbage Patch Kid Preemies. Which were, you know, way cuter since they were even smaller.

Looking back on this now as a mother I have to ask, is that not the weirdest thing ever?! That they were marketing preemies as super-duper tiny cuteness?

I was just a kid, but were the March of Dimes people up in arms about those preemie dolls, or was everyone just cool with it?

2 comments:

Susan said...

That’s funny! I definitely remember the preemies…I had one named Laura. But, do remember the Cabbage Patch Babies?? It was like people liked the tiny preemies so much, so CP decided to take it even further and made the “Baby” which was smaller than the preemie. My “Baby” was named David…my only boy CP. The whole thing really made no sense though.

jessica said...

I forgot all about the preemies until now. That is hilarious. My Cabbage Patch Kid (or was it a preemie?) was a sweet African American boy in yellow courduroy overalls. I saved up for him for a very long time. My parents later bought me one of those cloth "original" Cabbage Patch kids for Christmas. Unfortunately for them I was way over the craze by then.