Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Streak

Alternate post titles include:  "My Boobs Thank You" and "The Difficulty of Photographing What Isn't There".

Ooooh, I love a good streak.  I hate to break them.  There is often no rhyme or reason behind a streak, and no logic to keeping it going other than - it is a streak!  I must keep it going!  Hence, personal oddities such as: I have never smoked a cigarette.  I have never eaten a Big Mac.  I had my first cup of coffee (an espresso) in Paris at age 30.  (Okay, sometimes the beauty of a streak is the joy found in breaking it.)

All of this is lead in to say:  June has no teeth.  At first we figured she was a slow teether.  Then as the months passed by, her lack of pearly whites became a bit of an oddity.  A few more calendar pages turned, and we had the makings of a great streak on our hands!  Would she make it to the 1 year mark sans incisors?  Ladies and Gentlemen, COULD SHE DO IT?!

Toothless Wonder

Answer:  Yes!

Smiley but Blurry

Way to go, June!  I love her gummy smile, and I love the fact that this streak is emblematic of what it means to be a second time mom:  someone who is cheering this on in good humor, rather than turning to Dr. Google or stressing about whether my baby is "normal."  (Doesn't hurt that grandpa's a dentist.)

There's no tally of the number of fussy days that we've blamed on "she's probably teething."  I'll let you know when she stops making fools of us all for saying that.  Because as much as I love a good streak, I'm also a believer in the power of the jinx, and this post is nothing if not pure streak-busting jinx material.

So, what about you?  What unusual streaks do you have going?  C'mon, there must be something.  

2 comments:

Maggie said...

How many days can Abe go without hurting himself? 0.
How many hours can Abe go without screaming? 0.
Yeah, I don't think we have streaks going on around here.

Didn't realize June bug had no teeth. All the better to mash cake and ice cream. No teeth needed for that job!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Love this! I have many a friend with early teethers (Carter got teeth at TWO MONTHS) and very late teethers- past 18 months!

Ok, let's see, personally? I've never been stung by a bee. I've never smoked a cigarette. I've never mowed a lawn. I've never drank eggnog.

Aren't you glad you know those things about me now??