Thursday, July 28, 2011

Kale Chips

Yes, this is one of those obnoxious "I got my kids to eat kale" posts.  (See: prior post re: flooding, and just indulge me this moment of positivity, okay?)  No, I cannot promise your kids will eat this stuff. All I'm saying is it might be worth a shot. Or maybe this recipe is also for you if keeping up with the contents of your weekly CSA box is starting to feel like the quest to stay on top of your subscription to the New Yorker or The Economist?  (I wouldn't know; I haven't tried keeping up with any of the three.)     

I've heard of this recipe being called "crispy kale," but I think calling it "kale chips" adds to its appeal for the younger set.  No one is going to confuse these for Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream, though.

Simple and Super Speedy Instructions:
1) Wash and thoroughly dry kale.  Rip it from its thick center stems into bite sized pieces.
2) Spread out on parchment lined cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
3) Bake at 350 degrees for 12-20 minutes (our oven usually takes 12-14).  Use tongs to check that kale has turned crispy, but get it out before it all gets too dark.
4) Sprinkle with salt and whatever else sounds good.  This time I used a little shredded Parmesan cheese. 
5) Consume a la cookie monster.

Washed and dried:
IMG_0080

Drizzled with oil:
IMG_0081

Out of the oven:
IMG_0083

Digging in:
IMG_0085

IMG_0092

IMG_0095

I think kale excites me because I probably didn't even know what it was as of five years ago. I feel like Popeye for eating it. You could coat it in syrup, and in my book it would still make your whole meal "healthy." (Please do not send me nutritional evidence to the contrary.) Case in point: the particular kale chips shown above were an Hors d'œuvre for this stellar main dish from The Papa:

IMG_0100

Add kale chips on the side, and presto change-o, it's super duper healthy now! See what I mean? Kale is magic.

Do report back if you try this recipe to let me know if it works for you or is a total bomb - I'm curious!

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Okay, I'm going to try it!

And, yes, I totally agree that Kale is like a cleansing agent for any and all other items that might be entering your body during the same meal.

Danni said...

I love kale chips.

Susan said...

Okay, I bought my first bundle of Kale last night! And I kind of went kale crazy for dinner. I made the chips...I just put salt on them and I thought they were great! They taste like popcorn to me. And I also made a Kale smoothie. That was my dinner! I didn't love the smoothie, but I have a few recipes and will keep trying until I find one I like :)