Monday, November 28, 2011

I'm Thankful For My Long Maternity Leave

After Georgia was born, I took 5 months off. After June was born, I took 6. This time around I'm taking 6 again. I know that if I only got 3 months off like a lot of people do, (which sadly, is actually more than some employees get), I would deal with it and the babies and I would be fine, because, well, that's what everyone else does, right? Just deals. (Quite well in most cases, I might add.) Given that I have the luxury of taking 6 months off, though, I have to pause and say how immensely grateful I am for it. I seriously cannot imagine being back at work right now. Blech. What a mess it would be for everyone in our family and our so-called schedule, or more accurately, lack thereof. Not to mention my ill-fitting pants.

My hat's off to those of you who have gone back to work with far less leave. I know there are some women chomping at the bit to get back to work after having a baby, but either I just have a less exciting job or else that's just not me. Hopefully I'll be ready to go back by the time my 6 months are up, but right now it feels like everything's moving too quickly.

Well, that's all really. I'm extremely thankful for my maternity leave and felt like I should mention it.

4 comments:

Danni said...

I am thankful for your blog!

kat said...

Six months is awesome. For real.

I was just getting ready to write my I-went-back-to-work-at-3-weeks post, but, uh, I love my damn job and NK comes to work with me and will until at least 6 months (well, that's the plan anyway - we'll see how long it lasts!) I'm also PT and contract labor so there's that... It's sort of a strange (and crazy) situation... this morning my boss and I had a 30 minutes meeting... the baby nursed through the whole thing and then I had a conference call whilst the baby slept in a sling - very, very odd.

Frances said...

My pants don't fit either. Why is it so hard to get back into pre-pregnancy pants? I'm telling myself it is because my pelvis widened and it all has to do with bones and not fat.

I can't imagine going back after 3 months either. 6 months is a nice amount of time.

Kate said...

Danni - awwww, shucks, thanks!
Kat - that sounds pretty ideal! Odd but awesome.
Frances - um, dude. You JUST had a baby. This could be the problem with your pants. My excuse is wearing off... (But you are right - even when you lose all the weight, the bones and stuff seem to have shifted. It's weird. But definitely not fat.)