Monday, May 23, 2011

Preparing for Big Sisterhood

I suppose we should be breaking out the big sister themed books and ramping up our preparations so that June better understands what's to come, but right now we're still at the "there's a baby in mommy's tummy" stage. 

So, instead, I'll let this picture do the talking.  Here is what I imagine my three year old big sister Beth's advice would be (assuming three year old Beth could see the future).
beth in bag
June, everyone is going to ooh and ahh over this new baby and marvel at how cute it is.  Only you will see the truth, that the baby is a lopsided blob.  All of the attention the baby gets may make you feel like a faceless nobody, but don't let it get you down.  In an act of protest, I suggest you don a paper bag as a bold symbol of your feelings of anonymity after having been discarded for this newer model, the baby.  Your mother will smile sweetly when confronted with this act of defiance, oblivious to its underlying meaning, beaming in front of her gorgeous wood-paneled walls.  But it's okay, just be patient.  Because one day you'll grow up and be best friends with that silly baby, or at least convince it to drive your own kids to Saturday morning swim lessons for you in a pinch, so either way it's a win.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Evidently they had not invented, "Be sure you support the baby's neck" back then when you were an infant....

Ann Price said...

Hahahahaa...OMG. Such a classic. I mean, there's a LOT going on in that pic, but really the paper bag just takes it to another level. I have plenty of pics of my sister painfully smiling away while holding a tiny, red faced, screaming baby me. So many things we can say about upending their place in the family, but mostly, we have been lucky. My sister is still my best friend.

Sarah said...

Hysterical!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is eye-opening for us youngest childern. We didn't have to deal with anyone younger/newer/cuter than us - we were IT! No wonder older sybs are so MEAN to us as kids. But it does all work out in the end..... Tom T.