Tuesday, April 24, 2012

She Did It!

She didn't cry, but I teared up a little.

She's doing it!

I really can't imagine being as proud to watch her walk across a stage to accept a diploma one day as I was to watch her walk into that room and dance without crying.  That probably sounds strange to those of you who have been doing drop-off playdates and the like for years, but you have to understand that this was a huge first for us.  The 20 feet of distance, window pane, and closed doorway were the farthest she's ever comfortably gone away from us (excepting school, time with her nanny while I was working, and time spent at her aunt's or grandparents' homes, not all of it without protest).  This development is something I want for us as parents because, well, it would be nice to say, go to the park and sit down on a bench for a few minutes.  Or to go out on a dinner date without such a tear-filled struggle to depart.  But more importantly than those selfish reasons, it's something we want for Georgia.  We have seen her fears hold her back from activities that a part of her so desperately wants to do, which is why watching her enjoy a ballet class felt like watching her reach the summit of Mt. Everest and choked me up for a fleeting moment.    

Georgia at ballet
First class
Circle
An aside: I snapped these pictures on my phone and totally thought the room's viewing window had one-way glass until about halfway through the class one of the other waiting mothers informed me that oh no, they can still see you. Ha!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Hooray! What a wonderful feeling (for everyone)!!

TomT said...

A huge milestone for G!

Kelly said...

Go Georgia! I know this is a big step for everyone. Awesome! And beautiful pics, Kate!

Jennie said...

Love this! Yay Georgia! (And Kate and Joe!)