Thursday, June 28, 2012

I Want to Be the Ladies with the Red Solo Cups


IMG_0903
{Hi, Beth!}

I want to be the ladies with the red Solo cups. 

Sitting in the sun with a vodka limeade at the beach.

I am not quite there yet. 

Yesterday's Chicago beach trip with the kids was my first since last summer, which got me to thinking, which is harder?

Taking a three year old and a one year old to the lakefront in Chicago with a third child in your belly who, as fate would have it, will emerge less than 48 hours later?
I WILL HAVE FUN, DAMMIT!
{August 5, 2011}

T-35 hours...

Or taking a four year old, a two year old, and a 10 month old?
IMG_0896
I don't know.  It's a toss up.  Actually, no, what am I saying?  Three on the outside is definitely harder.

But I wouldn't want to miss dinner with this guy.
IMG_0901 IMG_0900

And one day, they'll be older and hopefully eating a little less sand, and I'll be raising my Solo cup in celebration, but wistful for these days, too. Isn't that always the way it goes?

IMG_0892

I had "fun" at the beach, I'm just looking forward to dropping the sarcastic air quotes, if you know what I mean.

Despite the work involved, I'm always glad when we get out there and go, especially on beautiful evenings like this one.  Besides, it's not every day that you can play with Taascia, your cousins' cousin from Australia - or as I like to think of it - a cousin by transitive property.  June and Georgia came home thinking they had a new best friend, and Georgia came home working on her best impersonation of an Aussie accent.  IMG_0905 IMG_0909 IMG_0911


IMG_0913


P.S.  Maggie - any time you want to come for a super long, big city playdate at the beach, just let me know!  The more the "merrier."  : ) 

ETA:  Ha! For a different take on the serene life I call my own, scroll down to the black and white picture in this post on my sister's blog.  What a difference perspective makes.



2 comments:

Emily said...

I love the picture of Waylon on Beth's blog - that hair!

Ann Price said...

Oh, I'm so with you on this. Isn't it hard to have "fun" when really you can't sit down for a minute without having to pop up to dig something out of their mouth or cajole the older one into behaving? I'm managing a few peaceful outings here and there, but the big productions are still much more hassle than enjoyment. But someday. Someday we will have our red cups. And I'll be toasting to you too!