Monday, March 4, 2013

Yard Time

Last week's onslaught of illnesses and abysmal school attendance left me taking the "stay at home" part of this mom gig too literally.  It is no wonder I felt imprisoned when my only excursions for the week were to the pediatrician's office, one trip to the grocery store (with two children), plus one shift working at our co-op preschool.

Even prisoners get yard time, though, right?  Which is why I felt so grateful for my fourth category of excused absence from the premises:  Crossfit.

If you look up Crossfit you'll find as many websites lambasting it as there are people acting like it is the be-all, end-all of physical fitness regimes.  I'm not going to pretend it's the only valid form of exercise, but what I can tell you about it is this:  I've been strength training three times a week at 6:30 a.m. since January 14th, which is more of a streak than I've ever kept up in the past.  I don't know what it is about Crossfit, but I must sort of like it.

Yard time My hall pass

2 comments:

jessica said...

Impressed! You are a bad-ass.

Kate said...

I assure you I'm not bad-ass for doing this. It is true what they say that the workouts can be scaled for anyone. The hardest and most intimidating part is just showing up on day 1. There was a 75 year old woman in my foundations (entry/on-ramp) class who was not in great shape for 75. She was the bad-ass!